Tiarna Ford v Clarence
*Pic thanks to Solstice Photography

It will go down as yet another unforgettable finals battle between Glenorchy and Clarence, and when the dust settled at Abbotsfield Park, the Magpies were into their third TSLW grand final in four years.

After the Roos booted the opening two goals of the game in quick succession, the Glenorchy girls owned much of the contest, but it took some Tiarna Ford magic to eke their way into the decider. 

Elise Barwick and Molly Mitchell set up Ford for a go-ahead goal 70 seconds into the final term, but a hugely-controversial 150-metre penalty put Rachel Archer on the goal-line and the Roos back in front just two minutes later.

Crunch time
While that may have proved an unfortunate umpiring intervention, it just set the stage for some Ford brilliance to save the day.

As the clock ticked towards 10 minutes, and the siren loomed large, a Elise Barwick dribbler found Ford deep in the Brooker Highway pocket, in a seemingly impossible position.

But the star forward made a mockery of the tight angle, snapping wonderfully to give the Magpies the lead and, ultimately, a place in this Saturday's grand final against Launceston after the hosts hung on grimly for the final four minutes.

Star power
Ford's two crucial final-quarter goals made her the star of the day, but she had plenty of support.

Mackie Sutcliffe was impassable across half-back, her ability to read the play and intercept outstanding on the big stage, while Perri King, Elise Barwick and Sarah Skinner were tireless through the middle.

Skipper Gen Sullivan was also outstanding with her play behind the ball, and Libby Haines showed all her experience to provide a steady head throughout.

The Magpies are the only team to have defeated Launceston this season, winning both their encounters in impressive fashion, however Saturday's clash at UTAS Stadium is sure to be a thriller.

Glenorchy 4.1.25 def Clarence 3.3.21
Ford 2, Barwick, Mitchell
Best: Sutcliffe, King, Ford, Clifton, Haines, Sullivan

rsea banner